September 17, 2012

Better Hide That Bait!

I was sitting here at lunch today, eating some wonderful, fresh cooked, fried chicken livers. Oh, how I do love a mess of good, fried chicken livers! As I was eating them, I had to smile as I remembered a camping and fishing trip with some friends when I was in my 30s.

My first husband, our kids and I had all gone camping with another couple that we were good friends with. The morning stuff had all been taken care of, all the kids were wandering around the campground, cutting loose and having fun, Judy and I were sitting in their trailer visiting, and our guys had planned to go fishing but remembered something they needed first, so had decided to run into the nearest Walmart first.

Somehow during our conversation, Judy and I got to talking about the baits the guys used to fish with. I was surprised that they had planned to use chicken livers that day because my (then) husband NEVER fished for catfish, but, apparently, hers did. So I guess that day, it was Lloyd's turn to pick the fishing style.

As Judy and I sat there talking, I mentioned how much I loved a good pan of fried chicken livers, but rarely ever cooked any because I was the only one in the house that ate them. Judy eagerly agreed that she loved them, too, but never ate them either because she, too, was the only one in her house that ate them and she didn't like to cook them just for herself.

So as we began to discuss how much we loved chicken livers, our tasters for them began to grow, especially since we each had someone sitting there to enjoy them with. We began to rummage around her trailer and my camping box and before you know it, we had put together all the makings for a great pan of fried chicken livers, including the onions and toast. But there was just one thing we needed . . . . . the chicken livers  ;D.

Yep, you guessed it, we opened up the trailer refrigerator, eagerly and excitedly took out the chicken livers the guys had gotten to go fishing that day with, cooked them ALL up into a beautiful plate full of delicious fried liver 'n onions that we spread out over toast and gobbled up like starving pigs before the guys got back from getting the remainder of the tackle they had needed to go out fishing that day.

Let me tell you, SHOCK :o didn't even begin to cover it when they came back, opened up the fridge to retrieve their chicken livers to go fishing with, couldn't find them, then turned around to find the empty container sitting next to the greasy skillet and us huddled together with the 'cat that swallowed the canary' look on our faces. ??? They were in such disbelief that they couldn't even yell. They just walked back out of the trailer together, absolutely stunned, and tried to figure out what in the heck they were going to use for fish bait without spending all of their fishing time driving back into town. (they did eventually yell a little)

Yes, they let us live, but they never let us forget it, either. Mad didn't even begin to cover it, but they couldn't help but laugh a bit in there somewhere. But it was all so worth it, because that was one of the BEST messes of fried liver 'n onions that Judy and I ever ate! So fellas, let this be a lesson. If you are planning on fishing with chicken livers, and it is fresh, unspoiled liver, you better keep it in your site or hide it well, because when you go to take it out to fish with it, it just might not be there! :-X 

No comments:

Post a Comment